Loughborough Canal Walk
A waterside walk from Loughborough to Leicester along a section of the Grand Union Canal and the River Soar. It's about a 13 mile route, so it's possible to do in a day. At the end of the walk you can get the train directly back to Loughborough from Leicester.
The walk starts on the canal just to the east of the train station. You can access the towpath from Moor Lane Bridge and then follow it south east towards the village of Barrow Upon Soar.
The route continues through the lovely Soar Valley to Mountsorrel and Syston, where you pass through Watermead Country Park. It's a real highlight on the route with 12 lakes, wildflower meadows, woodland, grassland and reedbeds. Look out for a whole host of wildlife on this section of the walk.
The final section takes you through Birstall and Belgrave, before finishing at Abbey Park in Leicester. It's a lovely finish to the walk with the attractive park including formal gardens, a sensory garden, a boating lake, a model boat lake, a miniature railway and pretty bridge over the River Soar.
Loughborough Canal Walk Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Loughborough Canal Walk Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Loughborough Canal Walk OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Loughborough Canal Walk Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Loughborough
- Grand Union Canal Walk - Follow the towpath of Britain's longest canal from London to Birmingham on this fabulous waterside walk
- Watermead Country Park - This beautiful country park contains over 12 lakes and ponds, wildflower meadows, woodland, grassland and reedbeds set in 350 acres of parkland
- Shepshed - This interesting town is located near Loughborough in the Charnwood area of Leicestershire.
- Blackbrook Reservoir - This short walk visits Blackbrook Reservoir near Coalville in Leicestershire
- Charnwood Forest - This long circular walk explores the parks, woodland, hills, nature reserves and countryside in the attractive Charnwood Forest area of Leicestershire
- Woodhouse Eaves - This attractive Leicestershire village has several local country parks and two nearby reservoirs for walkers to explore.
- Swithland Reservoir - This pretty reservoir is located just to the south east of Loughborough
- Cropston Reservoir - Enjoy a waterside walk along this pretty reservoir in the Charnwood Forest area of Leicestershire
- Bradgate Country Park - Bradgate is a very large, 830 acre park located just outside the city of Leicester
- Beacon Hill Country Park - Explore 335 acres of mixed woodland, grassland, wildflower meadows and farmland on this country park walk or cycle near Loughborough
- Leicestershire Round - Explore the countryside, villages, canals, rivers and reservoirs of Leicestershire on this interesting and varied circular walk
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To the north of the town you could visit Loughborough Big Meadow and the impressive viaduct which spans the River Soar near the town.
Just to the west there's the interesting town of Shepshed. Here you'll find a picturesque old watermill and a fine old thatched pub. You can also visit the nearby Blackbrook Reservoir and the historic Mount St Bernard Abbey from the town.
The circular Charnwood Forest Walk explores the countryside and village of the area.
Just to the south there's the worthy village of Woodhouse Eaves. From here you can enjoy a walk along the Leicestershire Round to several local walking highlights including Swithland Reservoir, Cropston Reservoir, Bradgate Country Park and Beacon Hill Country Park.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Leicestershire Walks page.