This Leicestershire based town is close to a number of peaceful woodland areas and an excellent viewpoint at the high point in the county.
This circular walk around Coalville visits some of the highlights of the area including Donington le Heath Manor House, Sence Valley Forest Park, Grange Woods, Bagworth Heath Woods, Thornton Reservoir and the highest point in Leicestershire at Bardon Hill.
The walk starts at Donington le Heath Manor House on the south western side of the town. The historic 17th century house is one of the highlights of the area and includes a beautiful garden. The fully furnished house was owned by a family who lived in the shadow of the Gunpowder Plot. From the house the route then follows public footpaths south west to visit the Sence Valley Forest Park where there's a series of lakes and some pleasant woodland trails.
The route continues south east through Ibstock where you'll pass through Grange Wood and Battram Wood where there's a signed cycle route.
You continue south east towards Bagworth where you'll pass Royal Tigers and Centenary Wood before coming to Bagworth Heath Woods where there are good wildlife spotting opportunites.
In the Bagworth area you pick up sections of the Ivanhoe Way and the Leicestershire Round and follow the waymarked paths east to the pretty Thornton Reservoir.
Here you turn north through Browns Wood and Stanton Under Barton before climbing to the viewpoints at Billa Barra Hill and Bardon Hill, the highest point in the county. There's a radio mast, an old quarry and fine views to the Malvern Hills, the Shropshire Hills and the Peak District from the hill top.
After descending the hill you head south west through Greenhill and Hugglescote to return to Coalville town centre.
Coalville Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Coalville Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Coalville OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Coalville Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Coalville
- Sence Valley Forest Park - Enjoy a series of lovely cycling and walking trails in this good sized country park near Ibstock
- Shepshed - This interesting town is located near Loughborough in the Charnwood area of Leicestershire.
- Blackbrook Reservoir - This short walk visits Blackbrook Reservoir near Coalville in Leicestershire
- Thornton Reservoir - Enjoy cycling and walking around this pretty reservoir in Thornton, Leicestershire
- Ivanhoe Way - Travel through the setting of Sir Walter Scott's 19th century novel on this circular walk around Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire.
The path starts Ashby-de-la-Zouch and first heads to Moira where you will follow the Ashby Canal for a short stretch
- Charnwood Forest - This long circular walk explores the parks, woodland, hills, nature reserves and countryside in the attractive Charnwood Forest area of Leicestershire
- Loughborough Canal Walk - A waterside walk from Loughborough to Leicester along a section of the Grand Union Canal and the River Soar
- Watermead Country Park - This beautiful country park contains over 12 lakes and ponds, wildflower meadows, woodland, grassland and reedbeds set in 350 acres of parkland
- Bardon Hill - Climb to the highest point in Leicestershire on this walk near Coalville
- Leicestershire Round - Explore the countryside, villages, canals, rivers and reservoirs of Leicestershire on this interesting and varied circular walk
- Mount St Bernard Abbey - Visit this Cistercian monastery near Coalville on this short walk
- Moira Furnace - This attraction in Moira includes a 36 acre country park with walking and cycling trails along the Ashby Canal
- Castle Donington - This historic market town in Leicestershire, is located near the National Forest, just north of East Midlands Airport
On the outskirts of the town The Birch Tree is a good choice for refreshment. The main draw here is a really lovely garden area where you can relax on warmer days. You can find them on Bardon Road at postcode LE67 1TD for your sat navs.
On the route you could stop off at The Bulls Head in Abbot's Oak, near Bardon Hill. They serve good food with particularly fine Italian stone-baked pizzas. There's also a lovely garden area to relax in on warmer days. You can find them at postcode LE67 4QQ for your sat navs.
The countryside, woodland and heathland on the route make for a fine dog walk. The Birch Tree and Bulls Heads pubs mentioned above are also very dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just north of the route near Whitwick there's the fascinating Mount St Bernard Abbey to visit. Here you can explore the grounds with its beautiful gardens, visit the church and walk up to the cross at 'Calvary'. From the elevated position of the cross there's lovely views over the area.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Leicestershire Walks page.