National Cycle Route 62
Travel from Fleetwood on the Lancashire coast to Selby in North Yorkshire on this 208 mile Sustrans cycle route.
Route highlights include the traffic free section along the reservoirs on the popular Longdendale Trail near Glossop. You can enjoy some splendid Peak District scenery around here.
There's also a lovely flat coastal run to the famous Blackpool tower at the start of the route.
The route is coincident with the epic Trans Pennine Trail which includes long off road sections.
Below is a list of day rideable cycle routes along route 62. Scroll down further for a video and the gpx file.
Cycle Routes on National Cycle Route 62
- Fleetwood to Preston - This is the opening section of National Cycle Route 62 running from Fleetwood to Preston, via Blackpool.
- Preston to Southport - This route runs along the trail from the city of Preston to the coast at Southport.
- Southport to Aintree - This route follows the trail along the Trans Penine Trail from Southport to Aintree
- Liverpool Loop Line - This traffic free cycle ride follows the trail and a disused railway line from Halewood to Aintree
- Liverpool to Warrington - This ride takes you along the trail and the Trans Pennine Trail from Liverpool to Warrington via Widnes.
- Manchester to Warrington - This ride takes you along the trail and the Trans Penine Trail from Greater Manchester into Cheshire
- Stockport to Glossop - This route goes from Greater Manchester into Derbyshire via the trail
- Longdendale Trail - This splendid cycling and walking trail follows a disused railway line through the Longdendale in the Peak District National Park
- Doncaster to Barnsley - This lovely route follows the Trans Pennine Trail from Doncaster to Barnsley.
- Selby to Doncaster - Follow the trail on the Trans Pennine Trail from Selby to Doncaster.
The ride begins on the Selby Canal following it to Brayton before a mixture of off road paths and quiet roads take you to Carlton where you cross the River Aire
National Cycle Route 62 Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
National Cycle Route 62 Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
National Cycle Route 62 OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
National Cycle Route 62 Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The route links up with National Cycle Route 56 in Liverpool. The signed Sustrans route runs from the city of Chester to Liverpool, passing the famous Albert Docks and Sefton Park on the way. The route could be used to extend your ride.
In Southport the route links with the Pier To Pier Cycle Route. This will take you along National Route 562 to Wigan Pier via Burscough, Appley Bridge and the easy flat towpath of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.