This Cheshire based village is located close to Runcorn and Warrington. There's some nice canalside walks and country trails through the Mersey Valley to enjoy here. Danesbury is also notable as the birthplace of of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland author Lewis Carroll who was born here in 1832.
This route from the uses sections of the Bridgewater Canal Way and the Mersey Valley Timberland Trail to create a circular walk around the village.
The walk starts in the village and heads west to Keckwick Hill and Daresbury Firs Woods. At Keckwick Hill bridge you pick up the canal towpath and follow it north to the Daresbury Science Park, Moore, Acton Grange Bridge and Walton Hall. The hall is the former home and gardens of Lord and Lady Daresbury and is one of the premier highlights of the area. The site includes woodland walks, a children's zoo and beautiful gardens.
The route then heads south west along the Mersey Valley Trail, passing Appleton Reservoir and Row's Wood before returning to the village.
Daresbury Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Daresbury Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Daresbury OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Daresbury Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Daresbury
- Runcorn - This port town in Cheshire is located next to the Mersey Estuary in Halton
- Warrington - This circular walk around Warrington includes nice waterside stretches along the River Mersey, the Woolston Cut Canal and the Manchester Ship Canal
- Widnes - This Cheshire based town has some fine walks along the river and canal which run through the area
- Hale Lighthouse - This circular walk visits the Hale Lighthouse on the River Mersey in Cheshire
- Mersey Way - Follow the River Mersey from Warrington to Liverpool on this waterside walk through Cheshire and Merseyside.
The trail is often walked in two stages with the first section running from Warrington to Widnes, passing Paddington Meadows, Spike Island and Victoria Park on the way.
The second stage runs from Widnes to Liverpool, passing the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge and John Lennon airport, before finishing at Garston
- Trans Pennine Trail - This terrific walking and cycling trail runs from coast to coast across northern England entirely on surfaced paths
- Speke Hall - This circular coastal walk visits the National Trust owned Speke Hall in Liverpool
- Sankey Valley Park - Enjoy a super, waterside cycle or walk in this country park in Warrington
- Frodsham Hill - Climb to this prominent hill on the Mid-Cheshire Ridge on this lovely walk in Cheshire
- Bridgewater Way - A walk along the Bridgewater canal, through Cheshire, Greater Manchester and on into Lancashire
- Cheshire Ring Canal Walk - This nice easy walk follows six historic canals through Cheshire, Greater Manchester and Staffordshire
- Trent and Mersey Canal - Follow the Trent and Mersey Canal through Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire on this long distance waterside walk
- Weaver Way - Follow the Weaver Way through Cheshire from Audlem to Frodsham on this delightful 40 mile walk
- Wigg Island - This circular walk visits the lovely Wigg Island park between Runcorn and Widnes in Cheshire.
- Appleton Reservoir - This walk visits Appleton Reservoir Warrington.
- Arley Hall - This walk visits Arley Hall and Gardens in the Cheshire based village of Arley
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The village includes the Lewis Carroll visitor centre. Here you can find details of Lewis Carroll’s Boyhood Walk which runs from Daresbury church to the site of the parsonage, passing through fields and lanes that the young Carroll would have known.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Cheshire Walks page.