This pretty Northamptonshire village has some picturesque thatched cottages, an old castle motte and splendid views of the River Nene.
This walk from the village follows a section of the Nene Way to Warmington, Oundle and Barnwell Country Park.
The walk starts in the village where you can pick up the Nene Way and follow the waymarked footpath south east to Eaglethorpe and Warmington. On the way you'll pass the remains of the old Fotheringhay Castle plus a pretty lock and weir on the river. The route continues south west past Tansor Grange before passing through Ashton where you'll cross the river at Ashton Mill. The route then heads through Oundle before finishing at Barnwell Park where there's a number of pretty lakes and a marina.
PostcodePE8 5HZ - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Fotheringhay Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Fotheringhay Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Fotheringhay OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Fotheringhay Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Fotheringhay
- Nene Way - Follow the River Nene through the beautiful Nene Valley on this fabulous walk through Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire.
The long distance path runs for over 100 miles, passing Northampton, Wellingborough, Oundle, Peterborough and Wisbech.
There's much to enjoy on the way with rushing weirs, a series of historic villages and old mills
- Oundle River Nene Walk - A circular riverside walk around the Northamptonshire town of Oundle
- Barnwell Country Park - Enjoy lovely waterside walking trails in this country park in Oundle, Northamptonshire
- Peterborough - There's lots of fairly easy walks to enjoy around the cathedral city of Peterborough
- Ferry Meadows Country Park - This super country park in Peterborough has several pretty lakes with cycling and walking trails running alongside the water's edge
- Castor Hanglands - Explore the woodland, limestone, wetland grassland and scrub in this large National Nature Reserve near Peterborough
- Crown Lakes Country Park - Enjoy a stroll around the pretty lakes in this country park in Peterborough
- Bedford Purlieus National Nature Reserve - These splendid ancient woods near Peterborough have miles of woodland walking trails to try
Back in the village head to the Falcon Inn for some post walk refreshment. You can enjoy a fine meal in the conservatory with lovely views to the church. Outside there's an orangery and a good sized garden for warmer days. You can find them on the Main Street at postcode PE8 5HZ.
The country trails make for a fine dog walk and the Falcon mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Follow the Nene Way north and you could visit neighbouring Nassington and Wansford. Continue east and the path eventually leads into Peterborough where you could pay a visit to the series of lakes at Ferry Meadows Country Park.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Northamptonshire Walks page.