This picturesque Cambridgeshire village sits in a nice location on the River Nene, near the border with Northamptonshire. There's woodland trails in a nearby National Nature Reserve and nice riverside paths to enjoy in this area.
This circular walk from the village visits the River Nene, Yarwell, Nassington and the Bedford Purlieus National Nature Reserve.
The walk starts in the village centre where you can pick up the Nene Way and follow the waymarked footpath south past Wansford Bridge to Yarwell where there's a mill, lock and weir on the river.
The trail continues round to Nassington where you'll pass Nassington Manor before crossing the dismantled railway to the north of the village. The route then heads north along country lanes to visit the Bedford Purlieus National Nature Reserve where there are miles of woodland trails, bluebells, wildflowers and lots of wildlife to look out for.
You then head east past the Old Sulehay Forest to return to Wansford.
PostcodePE8 6JB - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Wansford Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Wansford Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Wansford OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Wansford Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Wansford
- Fotheringhay - This pretty Northamptonshire village has some picturesque thatched cottages, an old castle motte and splendid views of the River Nene.
- Nene Way - Follow the River Nene through the beautiful Nene Valley on this fabulous walk through Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire.
The long distance path runs for over 100 miles, passing Northampton, Wellingborough, Oundle, Peterborough and Wisbech.
There's much to enjoy on the way with rushing weirs, a series of historic villages and old mills
- Oundle River Nene Walk - A circular riverside walk around the Northamptonshire town of Oundle
- Barnwell Country Park - Enjoy lovely waterside walking trails in this country park in Oundle, Northamptonshire
- Peterborough - There's lots of fairly easy walks to enjoy around the cathedral city of Peterborough
- Ferry Meadows Country Park - This super country park in Peterborough has several pretty lakes with cycling and walking trails running alongside the water's edge
- Castor Hanglands - Explore the woodland, limestone, wetland grassland and scrub in this large National Nature Reserve near Peterborough
- Crown Lakes Country Park - Enjoy a stroll around the pretty lakes in this country park in Peterborough
- Bedford Purlieus National Nature Reserve - These splendid ancient woods near Peterborough have miles of woodland walking trails to try
Back in the village head to The Paper Mills for some post walk refreshment. The inn sits in a nice location overlooking the old bridge and includes a lovely garden area for warmer days. You can find them on London Road at postcode PE8 6JB for your sat navs.
The country and woodland trails make for a fine dog walk and The Paper Mills mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Continue south along the Nene Way and you could visit neighbouring Fotheringhay where there's an old castle motte to see in the attractive village. If you head east along the river you'll come to the lakes at Ferry Meadows Country Park in Peterborough.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Cambridgeshire Walks page.