Llangynidr Canal and River Walk
This pretty village in Powys is in a fine location for exploring the surrounding hills and countryside of the Black Mountains, the Brecon Beacons and the Usk Valley. There's also nice local trails along the canal and river which flow through this picturesque area.
This circular walk from the village follows paths along the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal and the River Usk.
The walk starts from the public car park in the village and follows a footpath north east past Pencommin to the canal. Follow the towpath west and it will link up with the river after about a mile. You can then follow a riverside path east passing the old Llangynidr Bridge and a waterfall. At Cyffredyn you turn west to return to the village.
PostcodeNP8 1LS - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Llangynidr Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Llangynidr Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Llangynidr OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Llangynidr Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Llangynidr
- Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal - Follow the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal from Brecon to Newport on this super waterside walking and cycling route
- Crickhowell Canal Walk - A waterside walk along the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal from Crickhowell to Llangynidr.
The route runs for about 5.5 miles along the towpath with a shady section at the start before nice views over the surrounding hills and countryside as you approach Llangynidr.
The walk starts in the centre of Crickhowell and crosses the River Usk before following country lanes to the canal at the village of Llangattock
- Crickhowell River Walk - A short stroll along the River Usk in the town of Crickhowell (Crug Hywel) in the Brecon Beacons.
The walk starts next to Crickhowell Castle also known as 'Alisby's Castle'
- Usk Valley Walk - This super waterside walk follows the River Usk, the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal and the Brecon and Newport Canal from Caerleon to Brecon
- Brecon Beacons Way - Follow the Beacons Way through the centre of the stunning Brecon Beacons National Park
- Table Mountain - Enjoy wonderful views over the Brecon Beacons on this moderate climb to the 451m peak of Table Mountain (Crug Hywel)
- Talybont Reservoir - This circular cycling and walking route takes you around the lovely Talybont Reservoir in the Brecon Beacons National Park
- Gilwern - This walk from the little village of Gilwern takes you along a pleasant section of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal to neighbouring Llangattock
Back in the village head to the Coach and Horses for some post walk refreshments. This fine old coaching inn has an appealing interior with old beams, oak panelling and flagstone floors. Outside there's a peaceful garden overlooking the canal with stunning views over the local countryside. It's a great place to relax on a summer day after your exercise. You can find them on Cwm Crawnon Road with a postcode of NP8 1LS.
The canal and river paths make for a fine dog walk and the Coach and Horses mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
You can extend the walk by continuing east along the canal to neighbouring Crickhowell where you can pick up the Crickhowell River Walk. Here you can visit the 12th century Crickhowell Castle and see the 18th century bridge over the river.
Also nearby is the climb to the splendid Llangattock Escarpment. This elevated area includes great limestone cliffs, old quarries and wonderful views over the Usk Valley.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Black Mountains Walks and the Brecon Beacons Walks pages.