New Mills River and Canal Walk
A circular waterside walk around the Peak District town of New Mills with sections along the River Goyt and the Peak Forest Canal. The varied walk also visits a wonderful local park and a lovely nature reserve with peaceful woodland trails. It runs for just over 5 miles on fairly flat paths so is quite an easy walk.
The walk starts from New Mills central rail station and heads east to the Torrs Riverside Park and Millennium Way. It's a delighful spot with a beautiful river gorge and a 160 metre long walkway elevated over the waters of the River Goyt. Here you can also see the Torrs Hydro, a micro hydroelectric scheme which makes enough electricity to supply 70 homes.
From the park you then head south along a section of the Goyt Way which takes you to the canal. Follow the towpath west past Newtown and Brunswick Mill to Woodend where you can rejoin with the river. The riverside trail heads east taking you past Disley Paper Mill to Mousley Bottom Nature Reserve. There's some nice woodland trails with lots of wildlife to look out for here.
Shortly after passing through the reserve you return to the train station where the walk finishes.
To extend the walk you can continue along the canal to Marple and visit the noteworthy Marple Canal Locks.
The Sett Valley Trail also starts in the town. The popular cycling and walking trail runs through the beautiful Sett Valley from New Mills to Hayfield, which is a great base for exploring the Kinder Plateau.
New Mills Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
New Mills Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
New Mills OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
New Mills Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near New Mills
- Peak Forest Canal - Travel from Derbyshire into Greater Manchester on this waterside walk along the Peak Forest Canal
- Goyt Way - Follow the Goyt Way along the Peak Forest Canal and the River Goyt on this lovely waterside walk through Greater Manchester and Derbyshire.
The walk starts by Etherow Country Park Lake in Compstall and heads south through Marple and New Mills to Whaley Bridge
- Torrs Riverside Park and Millennium Way - This special park in New Mills takes you through a beautiful river gorge with a fabulous 160 metre long walkway elevated over the water
- Sett Valley Trail - This splendid cycling and walking trail runs through the beautiful Sett Valley in the Peak District
- Marple Canal Locks - This easy walk takes you along a particularly lovely section of the Peak Forest Canal in Marple