Old Warden Circular Walk
This chocolate box Bedfordshire village is famous for the Shuttleworth Museum of historic airplanes and motor vehicles at Old Warden Aerodrome.
The area also includes Old Warden Park where there are some lovely Swiss gardens, parkland walks and pretty lakes.
This circular walk takes you around the village and up to the historic church. You can extend the walk by continuing north to pick up the Greensand Ridge Walk, a long-distance walk of 40 miles (64 km) that traverses the county of Bedfordshire.
Please scroll down for the full list of walks near and around Old Warden. The detailed maps below also show a range of footpaths, bridleways and cycle paths in the area.
Old Warden Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Old Warden Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Old Warden OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Old Warden Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Old Warden
- Biggleswade - This market town in Bedfordshire has fine trails along the peaceful River Ivel and some attractive local countryside to explore.
- Kingfisher Way - This is a delightful walk along the River Ivel from Baldock to Roxton
- Greensand Ridge Walk - A walk through Bedforshire, Buckinghamshire and Cambridgeshire from Leighton Buzzard to Gamlingay
- Clopton Way - This walk runs from Wimpole Hall to Gamlingay via the abandoned medieval village of Clopton
- Baldock - This walk from Baldock visits two pretty nature reserves along the River Ivel which flows through the area
- Wimpole Hall - This 17th century country house near Cambridge is surrounded by 3,000 acres of parkland and farmland
- St Neots - This pretty town in Cambridgeshire has some lovely country and riverside walks to try
- Ouse Valley Way - Follow the River Great Ouse from the source at Brackley, Northamptonshire, to the mouth at The Wash at King's Lynn
- Sandy - This Bedfordshire based market town has some nice waterside trails along the River Ivel and a significant local nature reserve to explore.
- Potton Wood - These peaceful woods are located a couple of miles east of the small town of Potton in Bedfordshire.
- Stotfold - This is a lovely riverside walk to the picturesque Stotfold Mill in Bedfordshire near Baldock and Letchworth.
- Arlesey - This small town in Bedfordshire is located close to two rivers where you can enjoy some easy waterside walking.
- Shefford - This Bedfordshire based town is close to several areas of woodland with miles of walking and cycling trails to try
- Henlow - This Bedfordshire based village is known for its 12th century church and the Champneys Health farm which is used by the rich and famous
- Langford - This Bedfordshire based village has some pleasant footpaths along the River Ivel.
- Cambourne - This walk visits the Cambourne Nature Reserve before heading to the neighbouring villages of Caxton and Bourn.
- Gamlingay - This South Cambridgeshire village is located a few miles east of Sandy in a nice rural spot.
The Hare and Hounds is a fine thatched pub serving good quality dishes. You can find them at postcode SG18 9HQ. They have a garden area, parking and are also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The village is renowned for hosting the Shuttleworth Trust, a dedicated entity focused on conserving transportation relics, mainly bicycles, motor vehicles, and airplanes from the early 20th century. This assortment of historical items forms the Shuttleworth Collection. In addition to this collection, the estate features various buildings and gardens, along with a compact airfield. This airfield is notable for its active use, with many vintage aircraft taking flight during scheduled air shows. The estate, along with its museum and airfield, welcomes visitors. Shuttleworth College, established in 1944, is another significant establishment located on the estate.