The Dartmoor town of Chagford is in a great position with several waymarked trails passing through the area. There's also riverside paths along the River Teign and several local hill climbs to try.
This short walk to the south of the town, crosses Padley Common and Meldon Common before climbing Meldon Hill for splendid views over the area. The hill is covered with a number of different footpaths on which you can explore the summit. From all sides there are great views and the opportunity of seeing horses wandering across the common.
After your walk enjoy a stroll through the delightful town. There's lots of arts and crafts galleries, several beautifully preserved 16th century buildings and nice pubs for refreshments after your exercise.
Another great walk from Chagford is the hike to Castle Drogo, Fingle Bridge and Fingle Woods. They're all located just a few miles north east of the town and can be reached by following the Dartmoor Way along the river.
The Two Moors Way also passes through the area. You can pick it up and head west to Teigncombe and the pretty Fernworthy Reservoir. It then crosses Chagford Common before climbing to Water Hill where there are more great views to enjoy from the elevated position.
Chagford Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Chagford Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Chagford OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Chagford Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Chagford
- River Teign Walk - This walk explores the beautiful Teign Valley, following the River Teign from its source on Dartmoor to Shaldon on the Devon coast
- Castle Drogo - Explore the delightful gardens and wider estate surrounding this country house in Drewsteignton, Devon.This is one of the classic walks in Dartmoor taking you from Castle Drogo to Fingle Bridge along the wonderful Hunters Path
- Dartmoor Way - This walk takes you on a tour of the wonderful Dartmoor National Park.You will pass through Okehampton, Chagford, Moretonhampstead, Buckfastleigh, Princetown and Tavistock as you make your way around this circular route
- Fingle Woods - Explore the delightful woods around Fingle Bridge and visit the Iron Age Hill Fort of Wooston Castle on this woodland walk in Dartmoor
- Fernworthy Reservoir - This walk takes you around the lovely Fernworthy Reservoir and into Fernworthy Forest in Dartmoor
- Two Moors Way - Travel from Ivybridge to Lynmouth through the Dartmoor and Exmoor National Parks on this splendid walk through Devon and Somerset
- Dartmoor Ramble - A wonderful circular walk around the fascinating Dartmoor National Park with plenty of lovely riverside walking and some challenging climbs.
The walk starts near the car park at Bellever and first follows the East Dart River through Postbridge and on to Sittaford Tor where you will pass the historical Grey Wethers Stone Circle
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
A few miles north of the town there's the delightful Stone Lane Gardens. Here you'll find botanical gardens and an arboretum with many different types of trees and a series of lovely wooden sculptures. It's a tranquil place to go for a stroll and another of the area's worthy attractions. You can find the gardens about 1 mile due west of Drewseignton and just over 2 miles north of Chagord. The postcode is TQ13 8JU for your sat navs.