Circular Walk Around Ilmington
This walk from Ilmington makes use of three waymarked trails to create a fine circular route through the countryside surrounding the Cotswolds village. You'll follow sections of the Warwickshire Centenary Way, the Monarch's Way and the Cotswolds Link on this 10 mile tour of this lovely area of the Cotswolds.
The walk starts in Ilmington at the noteworthy St. Marys church which is Norman and dates from about the middle of the 12th century. You pass through the pretty village with its thatched cottages and fish ponds, heading west into the countryside along the Warwickshire Centenary Way. At Admington you turn south along the Monarch's Way towards Hidcote Manor. The National Trust run gardens were created by American horticulturist, Major Lawrence Johnston and contain a number of beautifully designed outdoor 'rooms'. Highlights include the kitchen garden, plant house, herbaceous borders and the orchard.
At the manor you pick up the Cotswold Link and follow it east along a series of bridleways. You'll pass Nebsworth and Knowlands Hill before coming to Darlingscott. The route turns north east here, taking you to Glebe Farm where you pick up the Centenary Way again and follow it west through Blackwell to Ilmington. After your exercise head to the Howard Arms Pub for some well earned refreshments. Peacefully overlooking the old chestnut tree on the green, it lies in the heart of the village at postcode CV36 4LT. It also includes a delightful beer garden where you can relax outside in the summer months.
Just to the south of the route you can extend your walk by visiting Ebrington Hill and the Foxcote Estate. It's a lovely area with pretty streams, woodland and a lake near to the house. Look out for wildlife including buzzards, pheasants and deer.
Ilmington Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Ilmington Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Ilmington OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Ilmington Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Ilmington
- Monarch's Way - This incredible 615-mile walk approximates the escape route taken by King Charles II in 1651 after being defeated in the Battle of Worcester
- Warwickshire Centenary Way - Starting at Kingsbury Water Park (video below) in the north of the county this lovely walk takes you through the River Tame Valley, Atherstone Ridge, Nuneaton, Coombe Abbey Park at Coventry (video below), Kenilworth, Warwick, Leamington Spa, Burton Dassett Hills, Avon Dassett, Edge Hill, Shipston on Stour and Ilmington Downs.
- Hidcote Manor Garden - Explore these stunning National Trust owned gardens on this short walk in the Cotswolds
- Ebrington and the Foxcote Estate - This circular walk takes you around some beautiful countryside on the Gloucestershire/Warwickshire border in the Cotswolds AONB
- Shipston on Stour - This attractive Warwickshire based town is in a good location for exploring the North Cotswolds
- Upper Quinton - This pretty Warwickshire village sits on the edge of the Cotswolds, just south of Stratford Upon Avon
- Tysoe Windmill - This circular walk visits the historic Tysoe Windmill in the Stratford-on-Avon District of Warwickshire.
- Ettington Park - This walk visits the grounds of Ettington Park Hotel in the Warwickshire village of Ettington.
There's some nice places to eat in Ilmington but one of the finest pubs in the country is located just to the south in the village of Ebrington. Here you'll find The Ebrington Arms an award winning pub which does excellent food and is set in a wonderful village location with fine views of the surrounding Cotswolds countryside. It's a special place and was recently voted the UK's number 1 village pub by The Times. The inn also has an interesting history, with its charming stone building dating all the way back to the 1640s. Inside there's period pieces including wooden fireplaces and beamed ceilings. You can find it in the village on May Lane at a postcode of GL55 6NH for your sat navs. The pub is also very dog friendly and can provide treats for your pet.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Follow the Warwickshire Centenary Way south east and it will take you to Tredington and the neighbouring town of Shipston on Stour. Near here is the worthy village of Tysoe where you could enjoy a climb to the Tysoe Windmill. The photogenic old mill sits on top of a 184 metre hill with excellent views over the Cotswolds.
Just to the north east there's Ettington Park to explore. Here you'll find a Grade I listed Victorian mansion surrounded by 40 acres of lovely parkland with well laid out gardens, an Orangery, an ancient Norman Chapel and views of the River Stour.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Warwickshire Walks and Cotswolds Walks pages.