Shipston on Stour Walks
This attractive Warwickshire based town is in a good location for exploring the North Cotswolds. The historic market town was known for its sheep market, playing a major part in the local wool trade. The town derives its name from the Olde English 'Sheep-wash-Town'.
This walk from the town uses a section of the Warwickshire Centenary Way to visit the nearby villages of Honington and Idlicote.
The walk starts in the town centre where you can pick up the waymarked trail and follow it north east along the River Stour. The route turns north to visit the neighbouring village of Honington where you will find Honington Hall. This privately owned 17th century country house is Grade I listed. The River Stour flows past the village on the western side and has a noteworthy 5-arched 17th-century bridge crossing it. The local church has been re-built, but retains its 13th-century tower.
After exploring the village and hall you continue to Idlicote. Here you'll find a number of pretty cottages and the Church of St James the Great which has features dating from the 13th century. There's also Idlicote House, a grade II listed country house, on a site once owned by St Mary's Abbey, Kenilworth.
After exploring the village you can then return to Shipston on the same paths.
Shipston on Stour Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Shipston on Stour Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Shipston on Stour OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Shipston on Stour Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Shipston on Stour
- Ilmington - This walk from Ilmington makes use of three waymarked trails to create a fine circular route through the countryside surrounding the Cotswolds village
- Stratford Upon Avon - The Warwickshire town of Stratford Upon Avon is famously associated with William Shakespeare
- Banbury - Explore the area surrounding the Oxfordshire town of Banbury on this long circular walk
- Warwickshire Centenary Way - Starting at Kingsbury Water Park (video below) in the north of the county this lovely walk takes you through the River Tame Valley, Atherstone Ridge, Nuneaton, Coombe Abbey Park at Coventry (video below), Kenilworth, Warwick, Leamington Spa, Burton Dassett Hills, Avon Dassett, Edge Hill, Shipston on Stour and Ilmington Downs before finishing at Upper Quinton.
- Hidcote Manor Garden - Explore these stunning National Trust owned gardens on this short walk in the Cotswolds
- Ebrington and the Foxcote Estate - This circular walk takes you around some beautiful countryside on the Gloucestershire/Warwickshire border in the Cotswolds AONB
- Upper Quinton - This pretty Warwickshire village sits on the edge of the Cotswolds, just south of Stratford Upon Avon
Head to the historic Black Horse Inn for some refreshments after your walk. The 16th century pub is the oldest pub and the only thatched building in Shipston. Outside there's a large decking area where you can enjoy your meal on finer days. You can find them on Station Road with a postcode of CV36 4BT for your sat navs.
The country trails make for a fine dog walk and the Black Horse Inn mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To continue your walking from the village follow the Centenary Way north east to visit Ilmington and Stratford Upon Avon.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Cotswolds Walks and Warwickshire Walks pages.