London Colney Walks
This pleasant Hertfordshire based village is located just to the south of St Albans. It's a great place for waterside walking with easy trails along the local lakes and rivers.
This circular walk from the village explores the Broad Colney Lakes Nature Reserve and the Willow Lakes before visiting the neighbouring village of Colney Heath. There's much to enjoy with pleasant footpaths along the River Colne and a series of picturesque lakes. On the way you can look out for a variety of water loving birds.
The walk starts at the Broad Colney Lakes Nature Reserve on the western side of the village. From here you can pick up riverside paths heading north to the Willow Lakes and Colney Heath where you could stop for some refreshments.
The route then follows footpaths across the heath which is also a local nature reserve. The river runs through the centre of the heath and there's also some pleasant woodland, grassland and interesting flora to see here.
The final section leads you south west past Tyttenhanger House and Garden Wood to return to the village.
To continue your riverside walking in the area head west to pick up the Ver-Colne Valley Walk. This waymarked footpath will take you north along the River Ver into St Albans.
PostcodeAL2 1QU - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
London Colney Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
London Colney Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
London Colney OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
London Colney Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near London Colney
- Shenley - The idyllic Hertfordshire village of Shenley sits in a pleasant rural position on the outskirts of North London.
- Ver-Colne Valley Walk - Follow the rivers Ver and Colne on this waterside walk through Hertfordshire.
The walk starts at Redbourn and follows the River Ver to the historic town of St Albans with its impressive cathedral and the delightful Verulamium Park
- Bricket Wood Common - Enjoy a stroll around this area of ancient woodland and dry heath, located near Watford
- Aldenham Country Park - Enjoy 100 acres of woodland and parkland adjacent to a 60 acre lake at this splendid park near Elstree/Borehamwood
- Totteridge - Totteridge is a lovely little village to visit on the outskirts of London in the borough of Barnet
- Dollis Valley Green Walk - This pleasant walk takes you from Mill Hill near Edgware in North London to the edge of Hampstead Heath along the Dollis Brook
- St Albans - Enjoy a nice circular walk around the centre of St Albans, visiting Verulamium Park, the Watercress Wildlife Site and the River Ver.
The walk starts from Abbey Rail Station and follows footpaths west through the park to the lake
- Hatfield Park - This Hertfordshire based town is a fine place for walkers with river trails along the River Lea, the woodland and parkland of Hatfield House and miles of easily accessible countryside trails to try.
- Ridge - This circular walk from Hertfordshire based Ride explores the countryside to the west, visiting the Catherine Bourne River, Littleridge Wood and the neighbouring village of South Mimms
The Bull is a nice place for rest and refreshment after your exercise. The historic pub dates back to the 17th century and includes a charming interior with an original fireplace. They have a lovely garden area and can be found at postcode AL2 1QU for your sat navs.
The river and heathland trails make for a fine dog walk. The Bull pub mentioned above is also dog friendly.