National Cycle Route 6
This is the complete route for Sustrans National Cycle Route 6. The route runs from Rickmansworth in Hertfordshire to Threkeld in the Lake District.
Highlights on the route include the Grand Union Canal towpath, the popular Brampton Valley Way and some stunning Lake District scenery towards the northern end of the route.
Please scroll down for a map, a selection of routes using the trail and a gpx download.
Cycle Routes on National Cycle Route 6
- Sheffield to Penistone - This route follows the Trans Penine Trail and National Cycle routes 6 and 67 to Penistone from Sheffield.
You start near the cathedral in Sheffield and follow the trail to Meadowhall along the River Don
- Kendal to Windermere - This short but attractive route takes you through the Lake District
- Leicester to Syston - This short easy ride follows the trail from Leicester to Syston along the River Soar
- National Cycle Route 6 Mansfield - This ride in the Mansfield area takes you along the trail from Vicar Water Country Park to Worksop
- Derby to Loughborough - Follow the trail from Derby to Loughborough
- Bletchley to Leighton Buzzard - Follow the Grand Union Canal Walk and the trail from Bletchley to Leighton Buzzard on this pleasant short waterside ride.
The route passes a series of pretty locks and the villages of Stoke Hammond and Leighton-Linslade as you follow the towpath along the canal. At the start of the ride you could also pay a visit to Bletchley Park and its fascinating museum. This historic site is world famous as the location of the crucial Allied code-breaking during World War II. The park is also a nice place for a stroll with some pleasant gardens and an ornamental lake.
- Northampton to Market Harborough - This ride passes from Northamptonshire into Leicestershire along the trail
- Leicester to Loughborough - On this route you will follow the trail from Leicester to Loughborough
- Windsor to St Albans - This fairly flat route takes you along the trail from Windsor on the river Thames to the pretty Hertfordshire town of St Albans
- Lancaster to Kendal - Follow national cycle network route 6 from Lancaster to Kendal
- Blackburn to Accrington - This lovely short easy ride follows the trail along the Leeds & Liverpool canal from Blackburn to Accrington via Rishton
- Milton Keynes to Northampton - this route follows the trail and the River Ouse from Milton Keynes to Northampton
- Manchester to Bury - This short ride follows the trail through Manchester to Bury
- Preston to Lancaster - Follow National Cycle Network route 6 from Preston to Lancaster and take in the Brampton Valley Way - This walk and cycle trail runs from the outskirts of Northampton to Market Harborough along the trackbed of a disused railway line and the trail
- Derby to Nottingham - This easy route takes you between two major English cities.The routes starts on the banks of the River Derwent in Derby and the follows National Cycle Network route 6 to Long Eaton and then Nottingham, finishing on the banks of the River Trent
- Rotherham to Worksop - This ride takes you along the trail from Yorkshire into Nottinghamshire
- Nottingham to Worksop - This route takes you along national cycle network route 6 from the city of Nottingham through Sherwood Forest to the town of Worksop
- Luton to Leighton Buzzard - Follow the trail through Bedfordshire on this attractive route known as the Luton and South Beds Way. This section includes a run along the Sewell Greenway, a traffic free surfaced path on a disused railway line.
- Outwood Trail - This cycling and walking trail runs along a disused railway line from Radcliffe to Prestwich
National Cycle Route 6 Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
National Cycle Route 6 Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
National Cycle Route 6 OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
National Cycle Route 6 Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The epic Chilterns Cycleway can be picked up near the route. The signed circular trail runs for about 170 miles through the Chilterns AONB on quiet country lanes, visiting a series of delightful villages.
The route links up with the popular Lancashire Cycleway Northern Loop in the Lancashire section.
Near Loughborough you can link with National Cycle Route 52 which runs south towards Coalville, Nuneaton, Coventry and Warwick.
In Leicester the route links with National Cycle Route 63 which runs through the National Forest from Burton on Trent to Wisbech.
The route links up with the epic W2W Cycle Route - NCN 70 at Crosscrake and Natland. The long distance ride runs from coast to coast from Walney Island in Cumbria to Wearmouth in Sunderland.
The route links up with National Cycle Route 15 around Nottingham. You can enjoy a pleasant traffic free run along the Grantham Canal here.