This village sits on the eastern edge of the city of Bath. There's some nice local river and canal walks plus a fine viewpoint just to the west of the settlement.
This walk from the village visits some of the local highlights including the River Avon, the Kennet and Avon Canal Walk and Little Solsbury Hill.
The walk starts in the village at the Batheaston Gardens and follows a section of the Limestone Link west along the river to the picturesque Bathampton Toll Bridge and Mill. You can then follow Mill Lane south to visit the canal at Bathampton.
The route then retraces its steps before a climb to Little Solsbury Hill, made famous by the Peter Gabriel song 'Solsbury Hill'. There's fine views over the village and the surrounding countryside from this viewpoint.
Batheaston Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Batheaston Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Batheaston OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Batheaston Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Batheaston
- River Avon Trail - Travel along the River Avon from Pill to Bath via Bristol on this delightful trail
You start off in the village of Pill, near the mouth of the river, and head to Bristol through the stunning Avon Gorge
- Kennet and Avon Canal Walk - A splendid waterside walk from the Thames at Reading, through Thatcham, Newbury, Hungerford, Great Bedwyn, Pewsey, Devizes, Bradford on Avon to Bath
- Little Solsbury Hill - This circular walk climbs this small hill made famous by the Peter Gabriel song 'Solsbury Hill'
- Freshford - This circular walk from the Somerset village of Freshford takes you to Avoncliff with its splendid aqueduct on the River Avon and Kennet and Avon Canal.
The walk starts from Freshford train station which is on the Great Western Railway
- Bath Canal Walk - This is a popular walk along the Kennet and Avon Canal from Bath to Bradford on Avon
- Bath Skyline Walk - Enjoy wonderful views of the city of Bath on this popular circular walk
- Bathampton - This village east of Bath has some nice waterside trails along the River Avon and the Kennet and Avon Canal
- Limestone Link - Starting at Cold Ashton in St Catherine's Valley, Gloucestershire follow the Limestone Link from the Cotswolds to the Mendip Hills in Somerset.
The walk first heads south towards Batheaston where you join the River Avon and the Kennet and Avon Canal for a lovely waterside stretch to Monkton Coombe
- Box - This Wiltshire based village is located close to Corsham and Bath in a nice rural part of the county. There's some nice waterside walking along the By Brook and a significant waymarked trail running through the area
The Bathampton Mill is in a lovely spot on the river to the south of the village. There's a splendid large garden and courtyard area where you can relax with views over the water. Inside there's a sylish interior with a log fire and delicious Mediterranean cuisine to sample from the menu. You can find them right on the river on Mill Lane with a postcode of BA2 6TS for your sat navs. There's also a large car park if you wanted to start a walk from there.
The river and country trails make for a fine dog walk. The Bathampton Mill mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To continue your walking in the area try the Bathampton Walk which visits the splendid American Museum at Claverton.
Just to the east is the worthy village of Box. The village includes nice trails along the By Brook and the famous Box railway tunnel created by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in the early 19th century.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Somerset Walks and the Cotswolds Walks pages.