The delightful Berkshire town of Newbury is a great place for waterside walks along the rivers, canal and lakes you can find in the area.
This short, easy stroll takes you along the Kennet and Avon Canal to the nearby Thatcham Nature Discovery Centre. It's a lovely stretch of the canal with lots of wildlife to look out for in the nature reserve at the end of the walk.
The walk starts at Newbury Wharf where there's an information centre and cafe run by the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust. Follow the towpath east, passing Greenham Lock, Ham Lock and Bull's Lock with views of the River Kennet.
At Widmead Lock bear left to enter the Thatcham Nature Discovery Centre. It's a lovely place for a stroll with a network of footpaths taking you around several pretty lakes. From the bird hide there's nice views across the reedbeds where you can look out for a wide variety of wildlife. Keep your eyes peeled for breeding common terns, house martins, swallows and swifts over the lake.
In the summer months you can also see several species of butterfly including garden tiger, waved black, holly blue, and gatekeeper.
There's lots of other great options for walkers in the Newbury area. You could enjoy a riverside stroll on the Lambourn Valley Way. Heading north along the trail will take you to the nearby Donnington Castle which is well worth a visit. English Heritage manage the site which includes atmospheric castle ruins dating from the 14th century. The large defences built to protect the castle during the English Civil War include a striking twin-towered gatehouse. There are lovely views of the surrounding Berkshire countryside from the elevated position of the castle.
Another gem is the canal walk from Newbury to Kintbury and Hungerford. It also starts from the wharf and includes a number of historic locks and bridges.
Newbury Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Newbury Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Newbury OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Newbury Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Other Walks around Newbury
- Kennet and Avon Canal Walk - A splendid waterside walk from the Thames at Reading, through Thatcham, Newbury, Hungerford, Pewsey, Devizes, Bradford on Avon to Bath
- Lambourn Valley Way - Travel from Oxfordshire into Berkshire along the Lambourn Valley Way and enjoy woodland, parkland and a series of quaint towns and villages
- Newbury to Kintbury and Hungerford Canal Walk - Enjoy an easy stroll along the Kennet and Avon Canal from Newbury to Hungerford via the lovely village of Kintbury
- Snelsmore Common Country Park - This circular walk takes you around the peaceful Snelsmore Common Country Park in Newbury and on into the surrounding countryside along public footpaths
- Greenham Common - Explore the Greenham and Cookham Commons on this circular walk near Newbury
- Ashford Hill Nature Reserve - Explore the old water meadows and woodland in this pretty nature reserve near Newbury
- Highclere Castle - This walk uses public footpaths to explore the extensive parkland surrounding this Stately home near Newbury
- Three Downs Link - This is a walking and cycling path following bridleways through Hampshire, Berkshire, Wiltshire and Oxfordshire