Enjoy a circular walk around the village of Great Missenden in the Chilterns. The walk visits the pretty abbey gardens before climbing the surrounding hills for great views back down to the village and into the surrounding Chilterns countryside.
The walk starts in the village near to the train station and parking area. You then head south along a section of the South Bucks Way long distance trail. This will take you to Missenden Abbey where you can explore the pretty Abbey Park with its lake and views of the River Misbourne.
The walk then heads east into the hills surrounding the village. You'll pass Chalkdell Wood Nature Reserve before climbing towards Hyde End where there is some woodland and attractive farmland.
The route then turns north through South Heath and Ballinger Common. You descend to Frith Hill before returning to the village.
The walk links with the Chiltern Link near Ballinger Common so you could pick up this long distance trail to extend your walk. Heading east will take you through the countryside to Chesham where you can enjoy nice riverside walk along the River Chess.
Another good option is to follow the South Bucks Way north and link with the Icknield Way Path. You can then enjoy a climb to Coombe Hill for more great views over the area.
Also near Coombe Hill are miles of woodland trails in Wendover Woods and waterside walks along the Grand Union Canal.
The Chiltern Heritage Trail also passes through the village. The long distance circular trail visits numerous delightful hamlets, villages and towns in Buckinghamshire.
Great Missenden Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Great Missenden Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Great Missenden OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Great Missenden Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Great Missenden
- Chiltern Link - Travel through the beautiful Chiltern Hills on this path which links the Chess Valley Walk and the Ridgeway National Trail
- South Bucks Way - The South Bucks Way runs from Coombe Hill near Wendover to Denham near Uxbridge for a distance of approximately 23 miles
- Icknield Way Path - The Icknield Way Path starts at Ivinghoe Beacon in Buckinghamshire and heads to Knettishall Heath in Suffolk along prehistoric pathways
- Coombe Hill - Climb to the 260 m (850 ft) summit of this lovely hill in the Chilterns
- Wendover Woods - Enjoy miles of great cycling and walking trails in this large forest in Buckinghamshire
- Grand Union Canal Walk - Follow the towpath of Britain's longest canal from London to Birmingham on this fabulous waterside walk
- Chiltern Heritage Trail - Travel through the Chilterns Hills on this splendid circular walk and visit numerous delightful hamlets, villages and towns in Buckinghamshire
- Little Missenden - This delightul Buckinghamshire village has some nice country and river walking trails to try
- Shardeloes - This circular walk visits the lovely Shardeloes Park and Lake near Amersham in Buckinghamshire
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head south east along the South Bucks Way and you could visit the sister village of Little Missenden. Here you can visit the picturesque Shardeloes Park. There's some nice trails around a pretty lake with bluebell woods to see in the adjacent Mop End.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Chilterns Walks and the Buckinghamshire Walks pages.