Walks in Richmond North Yorkshire
This interesting North Yorkshire town has some lovely riverside trails along the River Swale and two fine long distance trails to try. It sits on the north eastern edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park where you can visit highlights including Aysgarth Falls and Castle Bolton.
This circular walk around the town visits the rushing waters of Richmond Falls and the historic Richmond Castle on the River Swale.
Starting at the market place, head along New Street and turn left onto Bridge Street. Cross the river on Richmond Bridge and you can pick up a footpath on the southern side of the water. Follow the path round to the A road and then cross over to the other side. You can then pick up paths on the northern side of the river to Richmond Falls. After wet weather the falls can be very dramatic.
The path continues to Richmond Castle which is Grade I listed and dates from the 11th century. The castle has one of the finest examples of Norman buildings in Britain including Scollands Hall, the Great Hall of the castle. There's also an impressive 12th-century keep which is 100 feet (30 m) high.
To continue your walking in the Richmond area you can pick up our River Swale Walk from Richmond Bridge. It heads west from the town, visiting a series of nice riverside woodland areas.
Wainwright's Coast to Coast passes through the town and is another great option for walkers. If you follow it west you can visit Whitecliffe Woods, Applegarth and Marske. Heading east will take you along the river to Brompton-on-Swale.
The Richmond Way long distance footpath starts at Richmond and is another great way of exploring Swaledale on foot.
Richmond North Yorkshire Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Richmond North Yorkshire Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Richmond North Yorkshire OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Richmond North Yorkshire Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Richmond North Yorkshire
- Wainwright's Coast to Coast - Travel from the west coast of England to the east along this breathtaking route devised by Alfred Wainwright
- River Swale Richmond - A short riverside walk from Richmond along the River Swale to the National Trust owned Hudswell Woods
- Richmond Way - Travel from Lancaster Castle to Richmond Castle on this lovely walk through Lancashire and Yorkshire
- Castle Bolton - Visit the wonderful grounds of the 14th century Bolton Castle before exploring the beautiful countryside surrounding the village
- Middleham - This circular walk takes you around the countryside surrounding the North Yorkshire village of Middleham
- Bedale - Enjoy a walk along the pretty Bedale Beck on this easy walk in North Yorkshire
- Thorp Perrow Arboretum - Explore 100 acres of woodland, gardens and lakes in this beautiful arboretum near Bedale in North Yorkshire
- Barningham Trail - Travel through the beautiful Yorkshire Dales National Park on this circular walk around the pretty village of Barningham in County Durham
- Aysgarth Falls - Enjoy a woodland walk to the spectacular Aysgarth Falls in the Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Reeth - Explore beautiful Swaledale on this riverside circular walk in Reeth
- Easby Abbey - Visit the fascinating ruins of the 12th century Easby Abbey and enjoy a stroll along the River Swale on this easy walk in Richmondshire