Tadley Walks - Near and Around
This Hampshire based town is located near to some large areas of woodland and the attractive scenery of the North Downs. The large towns of Newbury and Reading are also close by.
This walk from the town follows the Brenda Parker Way east to visit Pamber Forest and the ancient Roman Fort at Silchester.
The walk starts in the village and heads east to explore Pamber Forest. The expansive area of woodland is a great place for walks and birdwatching.
You continue east to Silchester where you'll find the remains of the fascinating Roman town of Calleva Atrebatum. Here you can enjoy a walk around the Roman Walls which are still visible for much of the circumference.
Tadley Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Tadley Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Tadley OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Tadley Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Tadley
- Pamber Forest - This large forest in Tadley covers nearly 500 acres
- Silchester - This walk follows the waymarked Silchester trail around the Hampshire village
- Ashford Hill Nature Reserve - Explore the old water meadows and woodland in this pretty nature reserve near Newbury
- Brenda Parker Way - This splendid walk runs from Aldershot to Andover through the Hampshire countryside
- Greenham Common - Explore the Greenham and Cookham Commons on this circular walk near Newbury
- Newbury - The delightful Berkshire town of Newbury is a great place for waterside walks along the rivers, canal and lakes you can find in the area.
This short, easy stroll takes you along the Kennet and Avon Canal to the nearby Thatcham Discovery Centre
- Reading Circular River Walk - This circular walk takes in a number of waterways including the River Thames, the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal
- Reading Canal Walk - This walk takes you along the Kennet and Avon Canal from Reading to Aldermaston Wharf
- Aldermaston - This Berkshire based village has some nice river and canalside trails to try.
- Bramley - This rural Hampshire village has some nice local country and woodland trails to try
The Pelican is a good place for some post walk refreshments. They serve traditional Pub Grub and Thai Food which you can enjoy in the large garden area. The historic inn dates back to 1860 and can be found at Silchester Road, Pamber Heath, RG26 3EA.
There's also the Fox & Hounds at Mulfords Hill, RG26 3JG.
The woodland and heathland areas next to the town are ideal for dog walkers. The Fox & Hounds mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Ashford Hill Nature Reserve is a nice place to continue your walking in the area. The reserve has a number of woodland trails with lots of wildlife to see on the way.
For more walking ideas in the area see the North Downs Walks page.