This Berkshire based village has some nice river and canalside trails to try.
This walk from the village takes you up to Aldermaston Wharf on the Kennet and Avon Canal. You then follow the towpath west to visit the neighbouring village of Woolhampton.
The walk starts in the village and then follows the Fisherman's Lane track north east to Padworth Mill where you cross the River Kennet. You head north here, passing the flooded gravel pits before arriving at Aldermaston Wharf. The wharf is a significant spot on the canal with a British Waterways visitor centre to explore. It includes a tea room and is located at the canal east of the lift bridge. Here you can pick up the canal towpath and follow it west to Woolhampton where there's a pretty lock, bridge and train station.
Aldermaston Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Aldermaston Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Aldermaston OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Aldermaston Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Aldermaston
- Tadley - This Hampshire based town is located near to some large areas of woodland and the attractive scenery of the North Downs
- Reading Canal Walk - This walk takes you along the Kennet and Avon Canal from Reading to Aldermaston Wharf
- Reading Circular River Walk - This circular walk takes in a number of waterways including the River Thames, the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal
- Reading to Henley - Enjoy an easy riverside walk along the Thames Path on this walk from Reading to Henley-on-Thames via Sonning
- Kennet and Avon Canal Walk - A splendid waterside walk from the Thames at Reading, through Thatcham, Newbury, Hungerford, Great Bedwyn, Pewsey, Devizes, Bradford on Avon to Bath
- Pamber Forest - This large forest in Tadley covers nearly 500 acres
- Silchester - This walk follows the waymarked Silchester trail around the Hampshire village
- Ashford Hill Nature Reserve - Explore the old water meadows and woodland in this pretty nature reserve near Newbury
- Brenda Parker Way - This splendid walk runs from Aldershot to Andover through the Hampshire countryside
- Greenham Common - Explore the Greenham and Cookham Commons on this circular walk near Newbury
- Newbury - The delightful Berkshire town of Newbury is a great place for waterside walks along the rivers, canal and lakes you can find in the area.
This short, easy stroll takes you along the Kennet and Avon Canal to the nearby Thatcham Discovery Centre
- Bramley - This rural Hampshire village has some nice local country and woodland trails to try
- Burghfield Wokefield Common - This walk explores Wokefield Common Nature Reserve in Burghfield Common, West Berkshire.
On the route stop off at the Aldermaston Tea Rooms for refreshments. The tea rooms are located in a lovely spot by the canal at the Wharf. You can sit outside in the garden area and enjoy a cream tea with views of the water. The cafe can be found at Wharfside, RG7 4JS.
The waterside trails make for a pleasant dog walk. The tea room mentioned above is also dog friendly with water bowls available.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head south to the nearby town of Tadley and you could enjoy woodland trails around the expansive Pamber Forest before heading to the ancient Roman Fort at Silchester.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Berkshire Walks page.